20.1.07

Denim Detective needed....


Robin from the East Village N.Y.C, a loyal reader of F.S.T ( And Buddy), has sent me an interesting photo and quandary. He writes-
"Hey Seb, As I read your blog, I've come to think of you as a resident expert on social oddities around town. This summer I had a peculiar experience I was hoping you might be able to explain. On the walk to work one warm morning, I was following a perfectly normal looking chap (i.e. not homeless or crazy) who was wearing a normal business outfit of dress pants, collared shirt and jacket. Except that i noticed what appeared to be jeans sticking out of the bottom of his dress pants. Could it be that he's wearing ratty old jeans UNDER his nice dress pants? Why would someone do such a thing? Could it be more comfortable than it looks? I ended up following him for 3 blocks out of my way before I could take this photo for future investigation. Have I stumbled upon some sort of social anomaly? Or should I start thinking of doubling up my wardrobe as well?"
thx.
Robin

I'm going to open this case up to you, dear readers and compile solutions to this riddle. First of all, we can rule out warmth as an explanation, as Robin stated that this phenomenon occurred "This Summer" and on a "warm morning". Secondly, the subject is carrying a bag, which rules out that he didn't have anywhere to carry the offending jeans. Perhaps he has some form of Vestiphobia- Fear of clothing. He can't handle the feel of suits against his skin and has to wear denim underneath as a buffer. perhaps he also has a secret fetish towards denim A.K.A Jeans fetishism. Wikipedia has an article on J.F that states that "J.F is a sexual fetish relating to jeans or denim, particularly worn by women but also by men. It can also involve printed or electronic material with jeans being worn". Or lastly he works a boring corp job and wears these babies underneath to remind him that he is still a rock god and just working for the man until his big break comes along...Intriguing, thanks Robin. Readers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can offer another explanation: he's allergic to wool.

Finding great suits that aren't made out of wool is tough, so maybe his solution is to wear a nice suit and add some layers beneath to protect his skin from wool.

Seems sensible enough to me! ;)