12.1.07

The Never ending (ZOO) story.



For the last month I've been working on an underground performance of Ed Albee's The Zoo Story in an old radiator repair shop in Bondi that's been transformed into a gallery/workshop place called the Brick Lane Worshop. The play is a two hander with Steve Kilbey (lead singer of the Church) They say you should never meet your idols but Steve's been great. We did our first preview and it went swell. The whole thing has been amazing. It's grungy theatre outside of the traditional black boxes. Had a funny experience last night. Steve and I were in the wings waiting to go on and for a moment I felt like a rock star. Steve was doing his Qi Gong relaxation exercises and every once in a while stopping to tell me a story about rock and roll excess. It was so cool. Steve also has a blog www.stevekilbey.blogspot.com it's loaded with his poetry and musings and is filled with comments from his devoted fans. We are doing two more performances and then looking at maybe taking the play down to Melbourne. Will keep you updated. This is also by way of explanation as to why the old posting machine has slowed down. Happy new year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your performance last night and you were very, very good. Are you ging to Melbourne with Lucien to do the play? I hope it continues to go well for you.

B.Bon

Sebastian Goldspink said...

Thanks Bon Bon. Hopefully we will take it to Melbourne...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the story, Seb. I'm one of the devoted fans you mentioned, and I'm kinda bummed I won't get to see the play (I live in the USA) - nice to see a picture and read your thoughts about it :) Good luck with the play, I hope it gets...erm...actually, what *does* happen to a good play?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.